A simple Italian delight
14 OZ. (400 grams) of ripe tomatoes
9 OZ. (250 grams) of ricotta cheese
White spelt flour
1 C. of shelled almonds
2 OZ. (57 grams) of mascarpone cheese
Taggiasca olives, pitted
Extra virgin olive oil
Find out more about tomatoes in our Guide to Tomatoes.
For the pie crust
- Combine the spelt flour with 5 tablespoons of oil, 1/3 cup cold water and a pinch of salt,
- In a food processor, blend everything together until you get a smooth dough.
- Cover it with clear wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
For the filling
- Chop the almonds into small fine pieces and mix it with the ricotta and mascarpone cheese.
- Mix in 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon oregano and a pinch of salt.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices.
- Flour your kitchen surface and roll out the dough to create a 2 mm. thick sheet.
- Grease a pie baking dish (9×11 in.) with a little bit of oil, and gently place the dough inside, and remove any excess dough.
- Prick the bottom with a fork, pour in the filling, place the sliced tomatoes and a handful of olives on top.
- Drizzle some olive oil and freshly ground pepper on top and bake at 350 °F for about 30 minutes.
- Our easy tomato pie recipe is ready to serve!